Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Leaving for Kathmandu

We're now packed and ready to leave for Kathmandu.  We fly Denver -> Los Angeles -> Seoul -> Kathmandu, on Korean Air arriving in Kathmandu around 12PM on Saturday.

My house prior to packing.

Since I live in Colorado, we were able to do a few training hikes up to 13,000 feet (~4000m) .  It would have been nice to do some 14ers, unfortunately snow has already started to fall in the mountains.  We carried the backpacks and gear that we plan on carrying in Nepal.  Each of us will carry about 20lbs (~10kg), leaving about 40lbs (~20kg) for the porter.   Yes, I'm trying to learn to think in terms of meters and kilograms since that is the standard unit of measurement in Nepal.  And yes, we will have a porter and a guide.  I like to think of it as having a little entourage while I trek in Nepal.

I'm glad the trip is finally here.  I've been thinking about it every day for about 5 months, so I'm ready to stop planning and start trekking.

Donna, Tom, and Ryan on Twin Sisters

 

1 comment: