Saturday, October 1, 2011

19 days from Nepal departure

We're now 19 days from our October 20th departure for Nepal.  My Dad and I will be doing both the Annapurna Circuit and Everest Base Camp treks from Oct 20 - Nov 26.  We've both spent a lot of time preparing.  Partly in that we're both engineers, so we tend to over-analyze decisions (or at least I do).  But mainly because we have to carry everything we bring.  This means that every item that comes with us has to be useful, and weight matters.  In addition, we've decided to create a documentary of the trip.   This forced us to do a lot of research into cameras, lenses, videography techniques, and video editing software.  It also means that about 30% of the weight I'll be carrying will be camera equipment.  So I might have to sacrifice some clothing to bring an extra lens.

I'm both excited and nervous for the trip.  I've never done a big international trip, or a backpacking trip for this long.  But as the trip gets closer, I find myself getting more excited and less nervous.  When my Dad would visit me in Colorado, we would often watch documentaries of Nepal/Tibet/Everest, so it seems almost sureal that we are actually going there.  It always seemed like a place that captured my imagination, but so distant that I would never actually go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment